Thursday, July 16, 2009

Your Boudoir Needs Poodles, Too!

Poodle Soap Cover Pattern from Bazaar Novelties and Gifts by Beehive, c. 1960

PoodleFest, part the third, AKA PoodlePalooza!

Poodles can be – nay, MUST be used for more than just bottle covers and tea cosies. Your boudoir soap also needs to be poodlized. (Or your bathroom soap if you’re uncivilized enough to lack an actual boudoir.) Without a poodle to keep your soap safe inside its warm, acrylic embrace, your soap might get...

Um, cold.

And we can’t have cold soap!

*shudder*

Quick, click on the link and start crocheting!

Poodle Soap Cover

MATERIALS:

This novelty item for boudoirs can be quickly crocheted to fit a bath size cake of oval shaped soap from 1 (2 oz.) ball Patons Canadiana Knitting Worsted or Patons Carefree Canadiana and one No. F Plastic Crochet Hook (American Gauge). 2 Buttons. Length of Ribbon.

You must use exact yarns specified in order to be sure of satisfactory results.
Although I would think that choosing something that’s waterproof might yield even better than satisfactory results. Just sayin’.
BODY: Ch. 10 sts. (1 d.c., Ch. 1) 3 times in 4th Ch. from hook. 1 d.c. in next 5 Ch. (Ch. 1, 1 d.c.) 6 time sin last Ch. Ch. 1. Working along other side of Ch. work 1 d. c. in next 5 Ch. (Ch. 1, 1 d.c.) 3 times in last Ch. Ch. 1. Join with s.s. in space between Ch. and 1st d.c. Ch. 4.

1st round: 1 d.c. in same space. Ch. 1. (1 d.c., Ch. 1, 1 d.c.) in next space. 1 d.c. in next 8 spaces. (1 d.c., Ch. 1) twice in next 2 spaces. (1 d.c., Ch. 1, 1 d.c.) in next space. 1 d.c. in next 9 spaces. (1 d.c., Ch. 1, 1 d.c.) in next space. Ch. 1. Join with s.s. Ch. 3. This piece should be about 3 1/4 ins. long and 1 1/4 ins. wide.

2nd and 3rd rounds: 1 d.c. in each space of previous round. Join with s.s. Ch. 3.

4th round: 1 d.c. in next space. Ch. 1. * Miss one space. 1 d.c. in next 2 spaces. Repeat from * to last space. Miss one space. Join with s.s. Ch. 3.

5th and 6th roundsAs 2nd and 3rd rounds, omitting Ch. 3 at end of 6th round. Fasten off, leaving an end about 9 ins. long. Insert soap and sew up opening.
Um, wait... what if you actually want to USE the soap?
Note:– For removable cover, sew opening with narrow elastic.
Oh, okay! Still not sure why anyone would want a non-removable cover, though. Unless perhaps they’re planning to use it as a soap-scented paperweight.
HEAD: Beginning at top, Ch. 5. Join with s.s. to form ring. Ch 3.

1st round: 6 d.c. in ring. Join with s.s. in top of Ch.2. Ch.1.

2nd round: 1 s.c. in each d.c. of previous round. Join with s.s. Repeat 2nd round 7 times more. Fasten off, leaving an end about 12 ins. long. Stuff head with cotton or yarn and sew to curved end of first row of body. Tie ribbon around neck.
Yeah, the head can be stuffed with soft materials, but the body, no that has to be stuffed with a brick of soap, that will gradually dry up and crack and get really old and flaky and start coming out through the stitches.

Hmmm, better make sure you use elastic when you sew up the opening.
EARS: Ch. 4. 1 s.c. in 2nd Ch. from hook and in next 2 Ch. Ch. 1. Turn.

Next row: 1 s.c. in each s.c. of previous row. Ch. 1. Turn. Repeat this row 3 times more. Fasten off, leaving an end about 9 ins. long.

Make other ear to correspond. Sew to each side of first row of s.c. at top of head. For fringe, cut 8 strands of yarn 1 inch long and knot 2 strands through each st. along lower edge. Trim fringes evenly.

NOSE: Ch. 3. 1 s.c. in 2nd and 3rd Ch. Ch. 1. Turn.

Next row: 1 s.c. in each s.c. of previous row. Ch. 1. Turn. Repeat this row 4 times more. Fasten off, leaving an end about 9 ins. long. Fold piece in half and sew to head about 1 ins. from lower edge. Embroider contrasting colour over other end to accent tip of nose. Sew in position for whiskers.
Did I miss something? Sew what in position for whiskers? The nose is already attached to the face. Maybe they want more fringe. Or possibly pompoms. One can never have too many pompoms.
Sew on buttons for eyes.

TAIL: Ch. 6. 1 s.c. in 2nd Ch. from hook and in next 4 Ch. Ch. 1. Turn.

Next row: 1 s.c. in each s.c. of previous row. Repeat this row 4 times more. Fasten off, leaving an end about 9 ins. long. Fold in half lengthwise and sew edges together. Sew to curved end of body.
Also known as the poodle’s BUTT.
POMPONS: For making, see above.
Or below. In the first PoodleFest post. Or, if you’re a real risk taker, you could just wing it. Go wild and make pompoms without referring to any instructions at all! It’s like naked skydiving – only you’re not naked and there’s no risk of sudden death.
HEAD: Make 1 Medium Size.

TAIL: Make 1 Small Size.

FEET: Make 4 Medium Size.

Sew pompons in position as illustrated.
So now your bottles, spray cans and soap are all safely encased in poodles. Surely that must be all, you think.

Mwah-ha-ha! Wait for it!
Click here for the printable pattern.
ETA: Go here to see what Faithful Reader Hind did with this pattern!

16 comments:

  1. a soap cover???? new one on me. Loving this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm glad to have the opportunity to introduce you to the cutting edge of Poodle-bilia. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sudden death by way of pompoms would be embarrasing. Especially if one was found naked after said pompom-related death.

    Love your writing. Always good for a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which is why it's important to be wearing a clean pair of underwear whenever you undertake a new crochet project - just in case of an accident.

    See? Mother was right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have no idea, but you just made my whole year! On my 8th birthday, my grandmother made me a poodle with soap bar as the body of the poodle. It was my favorite gift from her and I have searched for years to find the pattern. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beaglelover, thank you! I'm grinning hugely right now. :-)

    I'm so glad the Soap Poodle has found a home with you. If you make one, please send me pics. I'd love to see! (And if you like, I'll feature it as a DIY.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the part about making the pompoms up and naked skydiving, and nearly choked to death on my sandwich. This is hilarious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to make these way back when. The whole family had them at the time. I had forgotten all about them. I called my sister, she still has hers and the Poodle toilet tissue cover to match. I had forgotten all about them. Getting old now you know. If I still have the pattern I would never be able to find it. How lovely of your to provide it her. The kids are all grown and having kids now. Perhaps I will put a little Poodle in their Christmas. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're welcome! I'm thrilled to know that the poodles will live again.

    I'd love to see pictures, when you make them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't ever laughed at pattern instrucitons before. Thank you! I'm making one this weekend as a work joke. I call it a "poodle day" when I'm forgetful and everything's overwhelming, thanks to my mothers long-passed toy poodle who after 2 strokes would wlak into the kitchen, stop, look around, and shake its head as if to say, "Why am I here and what was I doing?" Then it would return to the living room. Some work days are like that. I'll send a pic when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am looking for the myrtle the turtle soap cover pattern. My aunt made this for me when I was a little girl. I cannot find it anywhere. Any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,

      Unfortunately, I don't have any turtle soap cover patterns. However, you may find one if you dig through these two sites:

      http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php

      http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

      Good luck!

      Delete
  12. My grandmother had some of these that sat on top of the television set. She also made the bottle poodles - and I still have one of those!! Wish me luck in making one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I wish you all the good luck in the poodle-making world! Thanks for letting me know. :)

      Delete
    2. Do you still have the patterns for the other poodles? My great-grandmother had these. I have her hope chest and would love to have these to put inside for my granddaughter

      Delete
  13. I love love love these. Can you believe I've never saw these before*gasp* I know right! I'm the only person in my family to crochet. I'm definitely making some if these asap. Do you have anything like these that are cats? I love reading your comments on the patterns! This blog is so much fun. Thank you for sharing so the quirky vintage patterns!

    ReplyDelete